Flooding caused by heavy rain and storms are common in New Jersey. Being aware can help you prevent flooding, and save you a ton of money in the long run.
- Everyone is at risk for flooding. Even if you are in low- to moderate-risk (PRP) areas your home can be affected. Many affected homes were uninsured, and owners had to pay for damages out of pocket.
- Manmade barriers can escalate flooding. This can act as a levee and increase the depth of floodwater by 3 feet on one side, contributing to the damage.
- Major disasters can deplete resources quickly. Because so many homes and buildings were damaged, materials to rebuild became scarce and expensive, so the speed of insurance payments is critical and could become a major headache.
- Always plan for the worst when building. It’s better to be safe than sorry. If you have the mindset that “it won’t happen to me” your wrong. It most definitely can happen to you.
- Know your options if your home is uninhabitable. In certain events flood victims can be forced from their homes, and FEMA trailer homes are not always available. Flood insurance can help pay for alternative living arrangements.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wND6BIgFt8 WATCH HERE (Credit to CBS News)